Welcome to AppCake Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should all apps support symlinks?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

sirius2013

sirius2013

Getting Known

• IC Member
  • 26 posts
    • Time Online: 6h 58m 16s
  • iDevices Owned:iPhone 4S, iPad Mini with Retina, iHave a PC
Should all apps support symlinks within iOS file system, or is this more like an exception? I successfully used it with some media player in the past (linking from within its Documents to another app's Documents folder).
However, I wasn't successful this time. I created a folder which I thought could be a central repository for many other apps to see (say, /usr/documents). After creating a symlink in an app's Documents folder (using iFile on iPad), I tried to reach it with that app, but it just had a question mark icon next to it, saying that it's an unknown file. I checked permissions on all three parts (symlink, /usr/documents, files within /usr/documents), and made sure they were owner mobile and group mobile. No changes, the app still couldn't open the link/folder. Any idea what the problem could be?

hotsjf

hotsjf

7 years in scene

• Admin
  • 7,633 posts
    • Time Online: 192d 1h 7m 46s
  • Twitter:@iphonecake_com
  • LocationUSA
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac
  • Most used iOS:iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8
interesting question, never tried.

but if you did before, it should always work

sirius2013

sirius2013

Getting Known

• IC Member
  • 26 posts
Well, yeah, but before it was from one app's Documents folder into another (that is, everything happened within the sandboxed /var/mobile/applications/XXXX/Documents structure). This time it was trying to access /usr/something. Maybe there are additional limitations to the sandbox' outside access.

sirius2013

sirius2013

Getting Known

• IC Member
  • 26 posts
So far, it seems it's only one app's problem (i.e. the others I tried can access the symlinks). I'm still waiting for an answer from its developers. I don't see how one single app can't "support" symlinks, as that's on the file-system level.