Welcome to AppCake Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to SSH into your iPhone/iPad

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

hotsjf

hotsjf

7 years in scene

• Admin
  • 7,538 posts
    • Time Online: 188d 10h 30m 20s
  • Twitter:@iphonecake_com
  • LocationUSA
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac
  • Most used iOS:iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8

ssh-iphone.jpg

First, I will explain what SSH is and why we do it. SSH (Secure Shell) allows you to exchange data between two networked devices, using a secure channel. A jailbroken iPhone has the ability to connect with your computer via SSH, giving you read and write access to your iDevice’s hard drive.

You can repair damaged files, install games that aren’t in the App Store, and even turn your iDevice into a portable hard drive. I know it all sounds complicated, but we use applications to make the process as easy as browsing a folder on your computer. This is my quick and easy guide to SSH into your iPhone….

For starters, your device must be jailbroken. You must also have an active Wi-Fi connection on both your iDevice and your computer.

Step 1: Download Cyberduck. (Windows beta version here)

Step 2: In your jailbroken iDevice, open ‘Cydia.app’ and do a search for ‘OpenSSH’. Go ahead and install it, and jump back on your computer.

Step 3: Open the Cyberduck application we downloaded earlier and click the ‘Open Connection’ button.

Step 4: In the server field you are going to type your iDevice’s IP address. This can be found by launching your ‘Settings.app’, selecting ‘Wi-Fi’, and selecting the blue arrow next to your wireless network. You should now see your IP address.

cyberduck-ssh-535x400.jpg

Step 5: Select the ‘SFTP’ option in the drop down menu above where you just typed in your IP address.

Step 6: In the Username field type in ‘root’. In the Password field type ‘alpine’. Click connect! You are now looking at the file system underneath Apple’s iOS!

Note: The first SSH may take a bit, after that it should be fine. If you get an ‘Unknown Host’ message, just ignore it and click ‘Allow’.

Here is a tutorial on Youtube too:

See that wasn’t so bad, was it? My last piece of advice would be BE CAREFUL. Deleting or manipulating the wrong files can turn your iPhone into a paperweight.

Does anyone use a better SSH client? What ways are you using SSH? Tell us about it below!

Hardie8

Hardie8

Fresh Newbie

• IC Lurker
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
    • Time Online: 18m 59s
  • Twitter:Hardie_lochie
  • LocationAustralia
  • Facebook:Lochie hardie
What if your phone can't connect to your internet

alienopo

alienopo

Quality from Space.

• IC Uploader
  • 8,080 posts
    • Time Online: 93d 17h 33m 16s
  • iDevices Owned:N/A

@Hardie8

You can try to connect it to pc/mac. Using iTools or iFunbox.

Itools - enable "ssd channel" on last page and then with putty goes to 127.0.0.1
Or iFunbox directly from their console.

• worldwidelogging and knoxville like this

knoxville

knoxville

Fresh Newbie

• IC Lurker
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 3m 28s

@Hardie8

You can try to connect it to pc/mac. Using iTools or iFunbox.

Itools - enable "ssd channel" on last page and then with putty goes to 127.0.0.1
Or iFunbox directly from their console.

ifunbox works fine to me!

madmegatron

madmegatron

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 9 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 29m 17s
  • LocationCanada

Personally I use filezilla on Windows.  Never heard of cyberduck before though so maybe I'll give it a go...

claythan

claythan

Fresh Newbie

• IC Lurker
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
    • Time Online: 55m

You may also want to consider using the "Insomnia" app to keep the iPhone's wifi active when the device is locked, otherwise the ssh connection will cut out.  At least with my iPhone 5c, the wifi disconnects when it is locked and only intermittently reconnects.  Thus it prevents me from SSHing into it ... and not only that but I also can't receive VOIP calls and texts/email/push notifications can be delayed for like 20 minutes sometimes.  Pain in the ass--Insomnia is a life saver.

Note that the Insomnia app (when enabled) will decrease battery life but it's easy to toggle it on and off.

ClassicRiderz

ClassicRiderz

Fresh Newbie

• IC Lurker
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
    • Time Online: 56m 26s

halo

i need help with windows xp

while using winscp and start comment line Mounth.sh i always got error message that mounth.sh is not available or something.

please help me..

thanks