Hello AppCake forum,
I'm new here. I joined because recently I have developed an obsession with podcasts, and in my search through iOS podcasting apps I found that the arguably best app, "Overcast", could not be installed on my jailbroken device because it requires iOS 8.3.
My first though was that I could ask someone here to look into modifying the app to be able to install in 8.1 devices. Then I realised that would make me one of those lame guys that joins a community just to ask for that one thing, which used to piss me off back when I was an admin of some fan forums (more than a decade ago now, damn). And since I'm not completely clueless about app mods, I decided to figure it out myself, and post it here as my first contribution.
What you'll need:
1. the Overcast IPA: since it's a free app, you can simply download it from iTunes on your Mac or PC
2. a program that opens compressed files (WinZIP, WinRAR etc)
3. a plist editor: I used the very imaginatively named Plist Editor for Windows : http://www.download3...or-Windows.html
1. Open Overcast 1.2.2 ipa and go to Payload > Overcast.app
2. Open info.plist with the editor and change the values of the following lines:
- Line 90: 12B411
- Line 94: 8.1
- Line 96: 12B411
- Line 98: iphoneos8.1
- Line 100: 0610
- Line 102: 6A1052d
- Line 106: 8.1
3. Upload the app in your phone and install with AppCake.
If everything went smoothly you are now the proud owner of a jailbroken device sporting the best podcast app for iOS.