Welcome to AppCake Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Downloads are stopping?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 24m 30s
Hi Guys,
I was wondering why, the downloads stop during the downloading process? There have been times where your app just killed vShare in download speed. I get anywhere from 92-100 Mb download and there were times with some of your links I'd get up to 14 Mb/s! But for some reason, it's all stopped. The downloads are slow and most just stop, then pickup and stop and pickup and then sometimes errors out. This has been happening with small files as well as large files! I've uninstalled Appcake, re-installed Appcake to no avail. I've changed out Appsync from Appsync unified 5.5.1 to 5.6.1 to using just Appsync 5.X to 8.X. I've got Appcake 4.92 installed through Cydia and I have tried everything. Some of those links, just sit there with 0kb and won't download at all. This seems to be happening like this in the past month or two. I still get some files but, certainly not like it was where the downloads kept going until it was finished. Just trying to figure what's going on. Any info would be great!
Thanks,
SARGE

RazeWolf

RazeWolf

Getting Known

• IC Member
  • 23 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 17m 45s
  • LocationNew York
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, iPad 2, MacBook Pro
I know what you are talking about because I have experienced it before. I didn't do anything about it, thinking that it has to do with my internet so I would redownload the app later. The difference between you and I is that when I redownload it later, the download worked perfectly for some reason. I didn't change anything and that fact that you have this problem for a month seems odd.

Have you tried to download from different file hosts?
  • alienopo likes this

hotsjf

hotsjf

7 years in scene

• Admin
  • 7,666 posts
    • Time Online: 194d 23m 21s
  • Twitter:@iphonecake_com
  • LocationUSA
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac
  • Most used iOS:iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8
It mostly depends on the file host you were using. Which did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for replying! I've had the problem about a month or so. I CAN get some to download but others it seems to be a hassle. At one point fileshack was downing anywhere from 1.2 Mb as has as 5 Mb but now it's just downing in the kilobytes. Filepup, is always downing in kilobytes but it's fairly reliable even though it stops as well off and on. I tried oplenload and that was the one I was getting as much as 14 Mb. but now it's only 60 kilobytes and stops. I tried turbobit and that's horrible at least for me. I've tried sendspace not good. I've used VPN and tried different servers and no help. At one point I thought that the appsync being used was the difference but after further testing it wasn't. vShare their software is all screwed up and I when I tried to leave a post it tells me need human intervention verification and I'm logged in! That's when I try to post a new post! I can post when I butt in on someone else's post. So, I give up on trying to explain what's wrong with their program. Anyway back to Appcake, I don't know what to do anymore, I even rebooted my ipad over and over and still no help. I'll keep watching incase you guys might find something I'm doing wrong or you might do or need and update to Appcake. Again, Thank you SO much for the repies and take care,
SARGE

alienopo

alienopo

Quality from Space.

• IC Uploader
  • 8,080 posts
    • Time Online: 93d 17h 33m 16s
  • iDevices Owned:N/A
Buy premium and everything will be fast and reliable. :)

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
Hey Guys,
I just checked some of the files I tried to download and they stopped on me and they've completed the download! But, that's with me going and watching a movie and coming back to my iPad! Oh, and I'm running an iPad Air 2 with 128 Gb. Instead of just deleting the downloads, I decided to see if any of them make it and they did. But, still, there has been quiet a bit that hasn't. Alien, I have thought about doing that but, just haven't made my mind up if that's the route I'm going to have to take. I already belong to PowerUseNet! Will check back later guys take care to all as well as the admin who sent me an email!
SARGE

hotsjf

hotsjf

7 years in scene

• Admin
  • 7,666 posts
    • Time Online: 194d 23m 21s
  • Twitter:@iphonecake_com
  • LocationUSA
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac
  • Most used iOS:iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8
the download speed is mostly depends on the filehost

for example, fileshack is not that fast as before for me too, and openload seems to be slow recently too. they were both really good before

filepup is stable for you, that means nothing is wrong with your end.

Cosmicalninja

Cosmicalninja

Cosmical

• IC Respected Member
  • 2,405 posts
    • Time Online: 36d 5h 9m 30s
  • Twitter:cosmicaln1nja
  • Locationthe UK
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPhone SE, iPad Mini, iPad 4, MacBook Pro
  • Most used iOS:iOS 8

AppCake is the gateway to the file LINKS, AppCake doesn't host any file, only catalogues where you can find them. So the speed of AppCake is by the by.

Downloads cutting out are down to the actual file host stability and not AppCake itself. If you continue to have issues download the file on a laptop and install it using iFunbox. This is often said to be the best practise for larger files anyway.

Fileshack is slowing a little because more people are using it more often. It is a victim of its own success! It'll be sorted in due time.

Other issues are actually possible at your end, your provider may throttle your service, you may be using at peak time with other users on your hard lined network box infrastructure. There are so many variables in this that to say AppCake is slow is just wrong.

• hotsjf, Nanami_K and alienopo like this

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,
Ok, I've heard about the throttling of ISP's but when all this is going on, I take time out to run ookla speed test that I have on my iPad and laptop. I just ran it and it's running 108 Mb. I have a file that's been selected for download now setting in the download section for over 8 hours, it downed 407 Mb and only has 30 something to go but won't start back up. I understand that it may not be Appcake but instead the file hosts I was wondering if there was something I'm doing wrong with connecting to the file host or if it was Appcake not getting the full connection. As for the times, this happens with all hours. I've even stayed up all night a couple of times playing with my iPad. Just, trying to figure out if there's something I can do to make it faster other than doing what Alien had suggested.
Thanks for all the feed back guys, I've only got two more posts before i become restricted on posting or at least that's what the bar above this box is saying!
Take care,
SARGE

Cosmicalninja

Cosmicalninja

Cosmical

• IC Respected Member
  • 2,405 posts
  • Locationthe UK

@SARGE my suggestion would be to use a laptop to download the files you are after to begin with for now. This would show you if the backgrounding function of the Springboard is at fault, your iPad or your connection through laptop.

I know it can be a pain in the ass to get the files you want, thats why we offer up a few filehost alternatives, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

• hotsjf likes this

hexass

hexass

Caker

• IC Trusted User
  • 72 posts
    • Time Online: 9d 17h 43m 36s
  • LocationBG-NL-US
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Touch 4, iPhone 6, MacBook Air, iHave a PC

@SARGE , I second @Comsicalninja's answer.

Please note that AppCake can not be at fault due to the way it works. It merely points you to the download location, but the data does not flow thru it. It flows between the file host and your ISP.

On the other hand, the health of your connection to any file host is very unlikely your fault either, regardless of what you may have done. Many things add up to quite an unpredictable outcome with such connections:

- Hops on the route between you and the file host

- Possible routing issues on either side , yours or the datacenter where the file host resides

- Peak hour usage

- Your ISP's IP transit capacity to the file host's provider

- Choice of "volume" vs "premium" routing by both your ISP and the data center (eg. "volume" routing is cheaper , but the latency and overall experience are worse than "premium")

- File host's own internal load. Like @Cosmicalninja mentioned, FileShack's growing user base is causing understandable slow downs. The story with FilePup is not different, especially during peaks in the european location.

That said, 

file hosts are trying to keep up, but even when they do reasonably well, that is only a part of the story, and may still not lead to better overall experience for some users.

Note that dropping connections are rarely an issue on the file host's end. These drops usually translate into bad routes somewhere between you and the host.

Speed tests (the speedtest.net type especially) are drawing a very false picture. Many times such tests will test your speed against a server from a direct peering partner, which will show very high speed. However, note that file hosts will very rarely happen to be in direct peering with your ISP. Thus, the speed will drop big time. Reason being that direct peering costs pennies, while the "real" internet (a.k.a the IP transit out of the peering network) is expensive, and not many ISPs can afford to buy large links while selling the internet to the home users at the relatively low prices that it costs nowadays.

Basically, all this means that no one can ever tell why at any given moment something is not good on the other side of the earth. But it is not your fault, unless you can confirm that on a wired connection everything works as expected. Then it's your router's fault:)

• hotsjf, Cosmicalninja and alienopo like this

pinotnoir

pinotnoir

Caker

• IC Member
  • 53 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 11h 7m 54s
  • LocationEurope
  • iDevices Owned:iPhone 5, iPad Mini, MacBook Pro, iHave a PC

Like others in this forum I seem to have been experiencing quite a few broken downloads of late  (I use Safari browser on a Mac).

I have turned to using JDownloader2 and my success rate has greatly improved.

Just my 10 pence worth.

• hotsjf and Cosmicalninja like this

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the input, I have realized through the explaining from Cosm and others that Appcake is NOT the issue. I understand its just the gateway. I've been into computers since 1985, that's when I got my first computer, the Commodore 64. I however, don't have the smarts to program and wish I did! I've ALWAYS wanted to learn how to crack but never could. I was never able to be around those gifted people who could crack so that I may learn from them, but I do know a little bit about computers. I've got 3 Commodore 64's and a Commodore 128 setup and running downstairs. I've got a lot of fond memories of the Commodore's. I also, have a desktop 3 of them all running Windows 7, I also have 2 old laptops, and one not so old laptop. It's running Windows 7, it's a Dell XPS 17" with 3D. It's got all the bells and whistles and I bought Windows 8 but didn't like it so I went back to Win7. I have a bunch of gaming systems as well. I have the DS and the 3DS. I've got 3 - iPad's, 2 of them are the iPad Air 16 Gb and 32 Gb and the other is an iPad Air 2 128 Gb and this one is my baby. So, I love the computer stuff but, it's getting to the point I need to stop trying to keep up with the Jones! My next toy will be one of those Drones. I have a metal detector I'd be willing to trade for one it's all wireless and cost me somewhere in the ball park of 2000.00. But back to Appcake issues OR should I say FILEHOSTS ISSUES!!! Last night I downloaded using a link that normally gave me about 4 Mb/s but it wasn't doing that last night, it was hung. It started then stopped. It eventually finished the download those. But one link just fired right through the download. I sure wish they all were like that! I'll keep checking back and watch the board! Appcake is awesome and I thoroughly enjoy talking with you guys!
Take care,
SARGE

SARGE

SARGE

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 6 posts
Frereroy,
What is JDownloader2 ?? I've never heard of it??
Thanks,
Sarge

Cosmicalninja

Cosmicalninja

Cosmical

• IC Respected Member
  • 2,405 posts
  • Locationthe UK

Frereroy,
What is JDownloader2 ?? I've never heard of it??
Thanks,
Sarge

Google JDownloader2 and grab the download. 

Here is the write up: 

JDownloader is a free, open-source download management tool with a huge community of developers that makes downloading as easy and fast as it should be. Users can start, stop or pause downloads, set bandwith limitations, auto-extract archives and much more. It's an easy-to-extend framework that can save hours of your valuable time every day!

pinotnoir

pinotnoir

Caker

• IC Member
  • 53 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 11h 7m 54s
  • LocationEurope
  • iDevices Owned:iPhone 5, iPad Mini, MacBook Pro, iHave a PC

The download page for JDownloader is here in case you are having problems locating it.

http://jdownloader.o.../index?s=lng_en

alienopo

alienopo

Quality from Space.

• IC Uploader
  • 8,080 posts
I highly recommend to use jd2 beta. Jd1 is not supported now. Only 2 is still in development.

hexass

hexass

Caker

• IC Trusted User
  • 72 posts
    • Time Online: 9d 17h 43m 36s
  • LocationBG-NL-US
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Touch 4, iPhone 6, MacBook Air, iHave a PC

FP free users must be aware that allowing too many simultaneous connections in their download managers may lead to an automatic temporary ban.

The reason is that the system may get confused thinking that you are performing a flood attack. 

The rule of thumb is to stay below 3 simultaneous streams for free users. Above that you may be forced to take a break for a while.

• hotsjf likes this

Vonnner112

Vonnner112

Fresh Newbie

• IC Member
  • 7 posts
    • Time Online: 15m 53s

this problem is happening to me can you help..?

alienopo

alienopo

Quality from Space.

• IC Uploader
  • 8,080 posts

yes