Welcome to AppCake Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

{How To} Run apps on earlier versions of iOS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

BexN

BexN

Make Music Forever

• IC Uploader
  • 1,064 posts
    • Time Online: 22d 6h 13m 14s
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 4, iPad Air, iMac, iHave a PC

Hello friends!

Here's a quick guide on how to take an iOS 9.3 app and make it run on iOS 9.0.2 .

This should work for other similar situations as well (like 8.4 app on 8.3) but should not be used to run apps between major iOS revisions ( iOS 9 to iOS 8 )

You will need iTunes and an archive program (like WinZip or WinRAR)

1. Download your app with iTunes (or from AppCake) to your computer
  2. Go to your app download folder (..\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications)
  3. Open the IPA file of your app (right-click and Open With the archive program)
  4. In the archive, go to Payload -> (appname).app
  5. Extract the file "Info.plist"
  6. Open the file in Notepad or a simple text editor

You need to edit a line...

Find

<key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
    <string>#.#</string>

Replace the numbers at #.# with the iOS version you want to use the app with

You can also edit these following lines the same way, although the above should be all you need

<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
    <string>#.#</string>
    <key>DTSDKName</key>
    <string>iphoneos#.#</string>"

Now..

7. Save the file

8. Drag the file back into the archive and overwrite the existing file

9. Save the archive

You should now be able to install the app on your device using iTunes. Or import it with AppCake and install it that way. If not, you can use a program like iFunBox.

I like to rename the IPA file so I know it's been modified. Good luck! Please share your results

Don't post modified IPA files without labeling them as such! (i.e. SampleTank.ModifiedForiOS9.IPA)

• hotsjf, cakemaker, The BroOfTheCentury Inc. and 3 others like this

hotsjf

hotsjf

7 years in scene

• Admin
  • 7,625 posts
    • Time Online: 191d 18h 5m 33s
  • Twitter:@iphonecake_com
  • LocationUSA
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac
  • Most used iOS:iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8
nice tut mate!
  • BexN likes this

The BroOfTheCentury Inc.

The BroOfTheCentury Inc.

Pro Caker

• IC Trusted User
  • 224 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 8h 30m 45s
  • Twitter:@TheBOTCInc
  • LocationGermany
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, iPhone 7, iHave a PC
  • Donations:Dogecoin - D8MqrVWwKczFkwLe9GN7j9JyxWh196EWkX

Hello friends!

Here's a quick guide on how to take an iOS 9.3 app and make it run on iOS 9.0.2 .

This should work for other similar situations as well (like 8.4 app on 8.3) but should not be used to run apps between major iOS revisions ( iOS 9 to iOS 8 )

You will need iTunes and an archive program (like WinZip or WinRAR)

1. Download your app with iTunes to your computer
  2. Go to your app download foler (..\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications)
  3. Open the IPA file of your app (right-click and Open With the archive program)
  4. In the archive, go to Payload -> (appname).app
  5. Extract the file "Info.plist"
  6. Open the file in Notepad or a simple text editor

You need to edit a line...

Find

<key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
    <string>#.#</string>

Replace the numbers at #.# with the iOS version you want to use the app with

You can also edit these following lines the same way, although the above should be all you need

<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
    <string>#.#</string>
    <key>DTSDKName</key>
    <string>iphoneos#.#</string>"

Now..

7. Save the file

8. Drag the file back into the archive and overwrite the existing file

9. Save the archive

You should now be able to install the app on your device using iTunes. Or import it with AppCake and install it that way. If not, you can use a program like iFunBox.

I like to rename the IPA file so I know it's been modified. Good luck! Please share your results

Y u no give credits Q_Q

• BexN likes this

BexN

BexN

Make Music Forever

• IC Uploader
  • 1,064 posts
    • Time Online: 22d 6h 13m 14s
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Classic, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 4, iPad Air, iMac, iHave a PC

Thanks @The BroOfTheCentury Inc. @hotsjf @user_hidden & many other sources for helping me figure this out...

Hows that, @The BroOfTheCentury Inc. ? :bye:

• The BroOfTheCentury Inc. likes this

The BroOfTheCentury Inc.

The BroOfTheCentury Inc.

Pro Caker

• IC Trusted User
  • 224 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 8h 30m 45s
  • Twitter:@TheBOTCInc
  • LocationGermany
  • iDevices Owned:iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, iPhone 7, iHave a PC
  • Donations:Dogecoin - D8MqrVWwKczFkwLe9GN7j9JyxWh196EWkX

Thanks @The BroOfTheCentury Inc. @hotsjf @user_hidden & many other sources for helping me figure this out...

Hows that, @The BroOfTheCentury Inc. ? :bye:

Better :D

I also can confirm this method for iOS7, tried with Mucho Taco which is only for 7.1+ and modified it to 7.0 and it works like a charm on iOS 7.0.4  :good:

EDIT: What about making a new section anyways, for apps which have been modified by us to work on lower (other) versions for those who can't or don't want to do it themselves? I know that means more work, but for example you could hire new employees and split the work like (just an example ofc!) me testing modified iOS7 apps due to my current situation being stuck to it, BexN for iOS9 and some other guy for iOS8 you know? :)

justaskdrgiggles

justaskdrgiggles

Getting Known

• IC Member
  • 11 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 56m 6s
Holy macaroni! Thanks guys!
  • BexN likes this